Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat tape on fresh water hose

Default Heat tape on fresh water hose

I'm going to make up a cold weather fresh water hose. My question is what type of heat tape do you use on the water hose? I checked out heat tape in a number of stores. Reading the instructions it says not to use on flexible hose. Only use on hard plastic or metal pipe.

Also what size of pipe insulation do you use after putting the heat tape on?

Lastly, I noticed one type of heat tape you wrapped around the pipe and another type stated not to wrap around the pipe. Is one type better than another? I've never used heat tape before so it's all new to me.

Appreciate any suggestions and comments you have on this subject.

I did check old posts and found a lot of people using heat tape ,but wanted to make sure I get the right type. I have a feeling you're using what I've been looking at and just making it work.

Thanks,
    Safe Travels,

orkirk

I have been wintering in Kansas for the last 4 yrs and I just use the heat tape available in lowes or home depot. I do not wrap it around my hose, just tape it about every foot or so. I then use the pipe insulation necessary for my hose size. Make sure you leave enough heat tape at the ends to wrap around the spigot and around your connections. Good luck, Rick

I just use what is available at the hardware store too. I think it says rigid pipe only. What I have found is that pipe insulation is the biggest help. Just using that will protect you overnight (without waterflow) down to the low 20s. The heat tape works but I've had it freeze using it too.
    2008 F-450
    2007 ES 36RE3 (3702) Traded for SOB May 11

Default Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help! It helps to run things by the people that's been there and done that.

Safe Travels,
    orkirk

I used the roof overhang heat tape(gutter guard) one year because I had to run over 50' from my faucet to my suite.
    50' of reg. heat tape will get pretty expensive.
    Then I put that foam pipe insulation over the hose and heat tape(gutter guard). And also used duct tape on the seams.
    Huck & Dodie
    Bouse, AZ/Franklin, PA
    2005 RE3 MS #2163
    2006 F-350 4X4 CC

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    I used the roof overhang heat tape(gutter guard) one year because I had to run over 50' from my faucet to my suite.
    50' of reg. heat tape will get pretty expensive.
    Then I put that foam pipe insulation over the hose and heat tape(gutter guard). And also used duct tape on the seams.

Thanks for the reply!

I did see that gutter heat tape . I'll check that out again,although i'm only making up a 25' fresh water hose. How much space did that 50+' of winter hose take up?

Thanks again, good to get all these different ideas.

Safe Travels,
    orkirk

Smile

How much space did that 50+' of winter hose take up?
    About 50' X 2" square.... LOL

We did not travel with the insulated hose.
    We just spent the winter in nw PA one year when my DW's father was in hospice care.

I would tent to think that if you have water hookups you may have sewer.
    Just let your water run slow if you are traveling, to keep it from freezing.

Or, don't go anywhere that it is very cold all day and night. I just make sure that you have some fresh water in your tank. Then if the water is frozen in the morning , just turn on the pump and use water from the tank until the hose thaws out.
    Last edited by Huck; 03-09-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    Huck & Dodie
    Bouse, AZ/Franklin, PA
    2005 RE3 MS #2163
    2006 F-350 4X4 CC

Default Thanks again

Huck, thanks again and I am going to try to stay where it's warm in the winter from now on.

Safe Travels,

orkirk

Thumbs up

We've always used the same system everyone else is using for water hose. We usually park so the water is on the south side and gets some sun. But this winter was colder than "normal" and an RV next to us kept the faucet shaded most of the day.

After nearly a whole day without water, the CG owner suggested using a trash can to cover it. But David took it one step further and built a plywood box over the faucet. It has a removable top, with a hook attached to inside of the top. A trouble light can be hung from the hook for extra warmth. It doesn't interfere with the heat strip thermostat, since we plug the heat strip into the RV utility closet and it hangs down outside.
    Vickie & David
    SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
    Alicia - Custom kitchen
    2014 F450 KR 4x4
    Titan 65g tank

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Default Thanks!

Thanks Hitchup for your help. It is interesting to see all the different Ideas that RVers have. If the weather would always be like it was here in Indiana today(71F) we wouldn't have to worry about the water.

Safe Travels,
    orkirk