Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magellan or Rand Mcnally?

Default Magellan or Rand Mcnally?

Looking at purchasing a GPS that can be set for RV or Big Rig Friendly routing. We have it narrowed down to two and would like suggestions (like / dislike) from anyone using one of either of these:

1.- Magellan Roadmate Pro 9165T?

2.- Rand McNally Tripmaker RVND 5510?
    Rick and Janice
    2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
    2006 F-350 6.0 Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 20K Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Life is about the journey.

Rick and Janice,

I will be of no help for you as we are looking as well. However, I have a question for you. Jo and I have also been considering the Garmin nuvi 465LMT. Have you considered it, and if you did, why did you decide it wasn't on your "final two" list?

As far as that goes, I'd ask the same question of anyone else who answers your questions.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Terry
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2010 Ford F150 as Tag-along

Our Photos on Photobucket

Ignoring the Barking Dogs - Terry's Blog

I have the Garmin nuvi 465. I like it but it's only for trucks and cars not RV's
    John & Wilma

We have Garmin 2710 I think is the number but its 6 years old. Will probably up grade to the nuvi 465 also. We have Chevy Tahoe and a Chevy GM 3500HD and we also use the On-Star trun by turn which is downloaded to the Tahoe or Truck.. Works great, and you don't have to upgrade..... Happy Trails...
    Delaine and Lindy

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's (TRADED)
    2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 (Vanity Slide) #5057 (SOLD)

Trailer Saver Air ride TS 3 (Sold)

Pressure Pro System (SOLD)

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Might try this. www.gps-planet.com/ramcrugps Happy Trails....
    Last edited by Delaine and Lindy; 08-06-2011 at 11:10 PM.
    Delaine and Lindy

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's (TRADED)
    2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 (Vanity Slide) #5057 (SOLD)

Trailer Saver Air ride TS 3 (Sold)

Pressure Pro System (SOLD)

"WE ARE BLESSED"

"I will be of no help for you as we are looking as well. However, I have a question for you. Jo and I have also been considering the Garmin nuvi 465LMT. Have you considered it, and if you did, why did you decide it wasn't on your "final two" list?"

Terry, really had not looked at Garmin since they did not advertise "RV friendly" versions. Since you mentioned this and I like Garmin products, I looked at the 465LMT and 465T. They look like they are more for the professional drivers than for RV's. Neither one lists a campground directory and both refer more to the NTTS and IFTA information they have available. Another thing to consider is that neither one includes and AC adapter which we find handy to use to program our trip from home or inside the Suites without taxing the battery so when you add that cost they really are not much cheaper than the others we are looking at.

Some things I really like about the Magellan over the Rand McNally is the larger screen size, the live traffic updates and the Trailer Life campground directory that is programmed into it. Just have not had any experience with either brand so am still open to device on these brands anyone has to offer?
    Rick and Janice
    2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
    2006 F-350 6.0 Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 20K Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Life is about the journey.

Mark me down as looking for a new GPS also. I, too, want a "made for RV" GPS this time around. I currently have a Garmin 1490 which has a 5" screen, however, it is just using bigger pixels so there is no more information on the screen than the 4.3" models. I've read many good things about the Rand McNally, but have only in the last week or so heard of the Magellan. It would appear that Good Sam/Affinity is pushing the Magellan.

Joe

Two comments:

Delaine and Lindy: Your link was a dead one.

Second: In regards to both of the above GPS system asked about, neither one seems to have free lifetime updates. Now, it may not mean a thing as I've not had much use of any GPS other than the ones that come in our vehicles, both of which ran off of a CD and updates were pretty expensive.

In our looking for a GPS, our thoughts were that free lifetime updates would be an important feature. Am I wrong in assuming that? Or, is there a GPS unit where the updates can be purchased for a REASONABLE price?

Terry
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2010 Ford F150 as Tag-along

Our Photos on Photobucket

Ignoring the Barking Dogs - Terry's Blog

We have the Garmin Dezl 560 LMT. You can set it up for an RV and it does a great job. This one is one of the newest that Garmin has. It is setup to be for a truck or an RV. Lifetime updates and more.

Fritz

we talked to a trucker who has and liked the cobra truckers gps