Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Magellan or Rand Mcnally?

I use MS Streets and Trips to plan trips and find places to camp. You can get it with GPS but the 15 inch lap top is to large for in the truck. You can download your trip to some Gps systems. There are also overlays for various intrests (low bridge, stores, flying J etc). You can download highway construction data once your trip is planned. The wife finds the smaller GPS to small and wants one of the larger units when we go full time.

Tom
    Tom & Irene
    2010 MS 36TKSB3 5107
    2011 Chev 3500 DRW

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    We have the Garmin Dezl 560 LMT. You can set it up for an RV and it does a great job. This one is one of the newest that Garmin has. It is setup to be for a truck or an RV. Lifetime updates and more.

Fritz

Fritz,

Thanks for that one. RV friendly and lifetime updates. It is a bit more pricey, but a while back it would have helped Jo. She ended up on a toll road going to Tulsa when she was returning from Stillwater, OK. Getting lost a few times might very well make up the difference in price between units.

Terry
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2010 Ford F150 as Tag-along

Our Photos on Photobucket

Ignoring the Barking Dogs - Terry's Blog

I use Streets & Trips on my laptop to see where I am wanting to go, and to plan my trip and look at the trip options, and see whats on the way. But I would never, ever navigate with one. (been there, done that). You have to take your eyes off the road too much to read and follow one, or about the time you are making a turn, the computer falls over. It's just plain dangerous trying to read a computer and drive through a strange city.
    I've got a Garmin 755T, that I wouldn't trade for anything (well possibly another Garmin) It sits right in front of me hooked to the windshield, and I can see both it and the road at the same time, and it very seldom makes a mistake. In fact, it's never made a mistake that was of any consequence. I've made far more mistakes not believing it, than it has made in creating a route. I do like what I read about the new Garmin Duvl 560, and one of these days the price will come down. Then I may need one. until then, the Nuvi and I will get there.
    2005 MS 33RS3 #1800
    2012 Ram 3500 2X4. If you need a 4X4 you are living in the wrong place
    Dick & Dia Downey
    and our Itialian Greyhound, Shalamar
    The Missouri Travelers

I just saw the Rand McNally 5510 on the Radio Shack website for $289.99. That is $60 off the retail price. It is here: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=11862880

Joe

I have used DeLorme Street Atlas with map overlays on my laptop since 2005. With map overlays you can select a file ie Super Walmart with Diesel, Clearance files, Cracker Barrel, etc. and turn it on and off as needed. You can download the map overlay files from the Discovery Owners website http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfo.htm

Steve and Kathy
    2010 MS 38TKSB3 #5392
    2010 F350 King Ranch

Rick and Janice
    I got Bob the Garmin nuvi 465 for Christmas last year. I went with it since it was for trucks and you could change it to car mode too. He has an older cheper Magenllan he likes for just running around. I think we like the Garmin ok. Not sure what the RV friendly options would be.

Cherri
    Bob and Cherri Strohofer
    2006 38 RL3 #273
    SOITC Charter Members

I joined this forum after reading postings here and on other sites regarding RV-friendly GPS units. I would like to see a non-biased and objective comparison between the Magellan 9165T and Rand McNally RVND 5510. The Garmin Dezl 560 LMT can be used by RV’ers, but is designed and priced for truckers. I don't know why it took so long for GPS manufacturers to release a true RV solution, but I'm glad they finally did and currently there are at least two clear choices specifically for RV'ers.

First and foremost, we never trust a GPS alone to get us to a destination. We first map possible routes ahead of time, print and study them, then take them along for reference. We can then make informed decisions about what the GPS is suggesting. Of course if you are detouring or winging it you should always think things through, pull over to study a map or call your destination before blindly obeying *any* GPS.

We purchased the RVND a few months ago and love it (from Camping World, but just found it is much cheaper at Radio Shack). When the Vehicle Type is RV, you specify the type, height, weight and length (with or without trailer/towed vehicle) of your RV, as well as what your propane tank capacity is. The latter piece of info results in warnings if your route includes any tunnels or roadways that have hazmat restrictions you should avoid. And of course the size information helps determine the correct routes for large vehicles which have been spot-on. Rand McNally also makes a popular trucker's GPS (the TND model), but the RVND is very specific to RVs, does not rely on truck-specific information, and you don’t pay for information/features only useful to a commercial trucker. When we transfer the RVND to our towed vehicle, we simply switch to Vehicle Type = Car.

Free updates are provided every few weeks through docking software that installs on your PC, which includes construction, POI and campground updates which change most often. Maps will be updated periodically (perhaps yearly) for a fee (because the unit is new there hasn't been an update and/or cost published yet). The RVND also has 3-D Junction View and Lane Assist, as well as advanced warnings for speed limit changes, tolls, sharp curves, steep grades, etc. The campground search feature while on the road allows us to map the location so we can see exactly where it is in relation to the highway we are traveling - priceless when we are looking for easy off and on access. We have successfully searched for RV Dealers and Service centers, parking/rest areas, as well as fuel/food information for upcoming exits (its nice to know how far to the next couple of truck stops where there is sufficient room to maneuver for fuel). There are also trip checklists, maintenance logs, calculators and other useful features designed for RV’ers. We can back up our address book, logs, lists and other user data and restore it should we accidentally lose something.

We had some initial problems with the map orientation changing inexplicably which RVND Tech Support determined was due to a Map feature called Auto Scale. We turned this off and have had no further issues. Its Tell Rand feature allows us to report problems and/or inaccuracies with routes or maps, and even make suggestions for changes and enhancements.

Unless you are going to use your GPS for traveling/commuting in and around larger cities (something to avoid with most RVs), I would recommend against adding the optional Real Time Traffic Receiver to the RVND. It is pretty much useless on the Interstates and major highways. The RTTRs rely on transmissions from larger metro area radio stations. The antennas are too short and don't work well in most Class A motor homes as they must be entirely in the windshield and not be obstructed (over 2 feet of my antenna was across the dash to where the GPS was mounted).

Speaking of mounting, I can’t see the Magellan’s extra long mounting arm adding any value as it would be prone to bounce and jitter. I prefer my RVND mounted on the center of the dash within reach of me and my co-pilot…er, I mean, wife…so she can run POI & Campground searches or make route adjustments while we are driving. While a 7” screen would be nice, I have no problem seeing or interpreting the information displayed on the RVND. We have confidence in map accuracy since Rand McNally is the de facto standard. Other contributors to data in the RVND include NAVTEQ, RVers Friend, Zenrin Exit Authority, BringFido.com and Allstay.

I hope this information helps. I would love to see Garmin come up with an RV specific model, and why not Tom Tom? With more models to choose from, prices will drop, features will increase and free map updates will become standard – which is precisely what happened with car GPS units.

The Garmin dexl 560 LMT is set for trucks, but you can also set the Garmin to RV, Automobile, Pedestrian as well as a truck. Just put in the information about your trailer (heighth, length, width, etc. ( I have not tried the pedestrian yet but I doubt if it will ask for your heighth or weight) It tells you of overpass heights, speed cameras, as well as putting in latitude/longitude addresses or actual addresses. We are in Canada right now and some of the campgrounds only have atitude/longitude addresses and it has been a great help here. Since I drive a diesel, it shows me stations that have diesel which is great. The screen is a 5 inch screen with touch screen. You can set up the Garmin anywhich way you want. If you want just truck routes, that can be done, if you want the shortest route, that can be done also. This Garmin tells you info about 1 mile ahead instead of 500 feet like most. It shows you what lane to be in as well as showing you what your next turn, either right or left, miles away so you can get into the correct lane to turn.

Fritz
    Fritz and Cheryl Steinhoff
    2010 38RSSB3 w/vanity # 5384
    2007 Dodge Dually

Advanced knowledge is always more valuable than knowledge gained the hard way. In our case, we would prefer the GPS to be the "last minute" source of information. Many atlases don't have enough city maps that can be helpful, especially if you are looking for something specific.

While we aren't traveling yet, besides the GPS device, we will have the Trucker's Atlas and the Trucker's Mountain East and Trucker's Mountain West atlases. Those last two will give one information on the types of roads, grades of passes, and other information important to someone with a rig over a certain length.

If anyone has not heard of the Trucker's Mountain atlases, they can be found at the bottom of the page at the following link:

http://www.virtualtruckroute.com/now_1.html

Terry
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2010 Ford F150 as Tag-along

Our Photos on Photobucket

Ignoring the Barking Dogs - Terry's Blog

Well, Rand McNally just made it much harder.......they announced the RVND 7710 today with a 7 inch HD display and 8 GB of storage to be available in October of 2011 for a price of $399.

Here is the announcement:

Rand McNally GPS for RVers Now Bigger and Better New RVND 7710 has 7-inch high definition screen, fast performance, and 8G of memory
    Published: Friday, 12 Aug 2011 | 9:00 AM ET Text Size
    MADISON, Wis., Aug. 12, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Rand McNally introduced the latest addition to its award-winning line of navigation devices at the Family Motor Coach Association's 86th Family Reunion. The TripMaker RVND(TM) 7710 provides a large, easy to read 7" high-definition screen and 8GB of onboard storage for RV-related information.

"Members of the RVing community have been very enthusiastic about our TripMaker RVND(TM) 5510. That device designed just for them provides RV-specific routing, stops and amenities that RVers need while on the road, and things to see and do along the way," said Dave Muscatel, CEO of Rand McNally. "The TripMaker RVND(TM) 7710 will further enhance the experience in large vehicles with its 7-inch high definition screen, provided at a competitive price." New features on the TripMaker RVND(TM) 7710 include the ability to integrate typical traffic patterns along your route; add custom points of interest such as red-light cameras, special shopping areas, member campgrounds, or any other dataset in a .csv format; and fishing spots found in Rand McNally Editor's Pick locations.

The TripMaker RVND(TM) 7710 includes RV-easy routing for eleven types of RVs, plus a setting for use in cars. The routing takes into consideration Rand McNally's proprietary research on bridge height, vehicle length and propane restrictions, as well as turning radius considerations for different types of RVs.

RVers can plan their next stop, or an entire multi-stop trip, utilizing the more than 14 million points of interest - many of which are viewable by amenities available on the TripMaker RVND(TM) 7710.

Key features of the TripMaker RVND(TM) 7710, designed with RVers in mind, include: RV Campgrounds, RV Dealers and Service, Parking and Rest Areas including Walmart RV-friendly locations, and Travel Centers with detailed amenities such as dump stations, propane availability and more.

Detailed exit information that includes retailers and amenities for upcoming exits.

RVer Tools such as Checklists for set up and take down, Maintenance Logs, Trails back to your campsite, and Quick Mileage Calculators.

Pet-friendly locations including parks, animal hospitals, and beaches.

Best of the Road three-to-four day adventures including interesting stops, videos and photos of the locations, maps and more to plan a memorable adventure.

Includes the 2011 Best Small Towns in America finalists! Regional Trips, Scenic Tours, Weekend Getaways, and City Trips.

12,000 Rand McNally selected locations that will make any trip exciting and unique.

The TripMaker RVND(TM) 7710, available in North America in October 2011, is fully operational in English, Canadian French, and Spanish. The suggested retail price is $399.00 USD plus applicable sales tax.

For more information, visit www.randmcnally.com/rvgps.

About Rand McNally - Rand McNally is the most trusted source for maps, directions, and travel content. Rand McNally's products and services include: Road travel review site www.BestoftheRoad.com; Interactive travel referral service, www.Tripology.com; America's #1 Road Atlas; IntelliRoute truck routing software and navigation devices; TruckPC and TND(TM) 760, Fleet Edition, mobile communication solutions for the transportation industry; and the leading geography-based educational resources for the classroom. Consumers, businesses, truckers, and educators depend upon Rand McNally to help navigate today's world.

www.RandMcNally.com Rand McNally, IntelliRoute, TripMaker and Best of the Road are registered trademarks, and TND and RVND are trademarks of RM Acquisition, LLC. d/b/a Rand McNally.

Visit us - www.randmcnally.com Twitter:http://twitter.com/randmcnally Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/randmcnally Travel Blog:http://ontheroad.randmcnally.com SOURCE Rand McNally www.prnewswire.com Copyright (C) 2011 PR Newswire. All rights reserved -