Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solar on new Elite Suite

Sorry--my comments re routing are appropriate for integrated controller/display units. Nice to have the controller separate from the display, but more work for DIY installation.

Though Im certainly no expert, I don't see how the location of the controller in wires from panels to batteries appreciably affects current reaching batteries.
    2010 36tk3 (5173)
    2006 Chev 3500 D/A

jimandsue60,

Your controller is mounted correctly. Voltage drop between the controller and batteries is critical to getting the batteries to full charge. jbird, sorry but your "factory" installation could possibly keep your batteries from getting a full charge. I don't know who told you that but they are very wrong. Sorry again for correcting you, sure don't wanna cause hard feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by BillK View Post
    jimandsue60,

Your controller is mounted correctly. Voltage drop between the controller and batteries is critical to getting the batteries to full charge. jbird, sorry but your "factory" installation could possibly keep your batteries from getting a full charge. I don't know who told you that but they are very wrong. Sorry again for correcting you, sure don't wanna cause hard feelings.
    No problem--I like to live and learn. But I'm yet to be convinced: Current loss is clearly a function of length and size of wire so the greater the distance controller to battery, the more loss. But if one is splicing in to wires from roof, the further the controller from the roof,the greater the current loss to controller. Seems to me to be 6 and one half dozen of the other,i.e.total current loss will depend on length of wires solar to battery I would think. I suppose the loss in the controller will reduce current to battery; I would think since after-controller current is reduced somewhat from what it is at panels, the total amp loss per foot between controller and battery would be less than amp drop per foot between controller and solar since amp loss will be a percentage of amp carried?????
    2010 36tk3 (5173)
    2006 Chev 3500 D/A

Current loss between the panels and controller should be held to a minimum also but is less critical because the voltage is significantly higher. The controller regulates (reduces) the voltage to correctly charge the batteries. This needs to remain constant without any loss until it reaches the batteries. Clear as mud huh? Sorry but I am not very good at explaining it.