Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scare Lights "Leak"

Default Scare Lights "Leak"

Not certain if anyone has ever experienced this, or not. I came back to the MS the other day (after a rain) and looked up to see that BOTH of my front scare lights were half full of water!!! I checked to see if the silicone caulking at the top of the light mount was still in place, and it's there. Thankfully.

I am going to "drain" the water from inside of the fixture over the weekend. I will also make certain that there is no real damage to the fixture. Should I run some silicone caulking around the lens, too? Or is there some other tip that might help? The unit is parked level front-to-back and side-to-side. Maybe I need to invest in the rain gutter spout "extensions" in order to miss the lights when the rain runs off the roof.

Any input that you might offer would be greatly appreciated.
    DRV_01_Scare_Light-2.jpg

Throw away the gasket, it has crumbled and blocking drain in the bottom, bigger problem in where wire goes in trailer when the light fills up it runs into trailer

Thanks, EDT

It's daybreak here and, as soon as it warms up, I'm going to pull the cover(s) and follow your tip.

Drill a 1/8th hole in the bottom of the lens. No more water.

Gargoyle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    Drill a 1/8th hole in the bottom of the lens. No more water.
    They already have a drain, but once the gasket crumbles it blocks the drain. I'd be willing to bet it would block the new hole over time too. Buy/make a new gasket. They are cheap.

Had this issue on our last trailer's scare lights. I also drilled the 1/8" hole in the bottom of each lens like Bob but also added gutter extensions to assure water would not run directly over the lens. After doing that on our last trail, no more issues for 7 years. Did not wait on on this to happen on our MS and did the same thing within a few weeks of bringing it home 5 years ago and have never had a problem.
    Rick and Janice
    2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
    2006 F-350 6.0 Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 20K Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Life is about the journey.

Default Fixed it...

Following the tips sent to me about the gasket and the drain holes, I grabbed a ladder and went on up. I took the lens off, with the gasket on each side. Much to my surprise BOTH of the lenses were mounted sideways. There is clearly a stamp on the lens that says "TOP". The drain holes were obviously on the bottom. In my case, one was upside down (The one in the picture). The other was off by 90 degrees.

I saved the gaskets, as they were fine. I re-installed the lens with "TOP" facing, well, the top. I also made certain that both drain holes were clear of any debris or gasket material. Time will tell. I believe it's fixed.

I also bought a set of the gutter "extentions" that I will install fore and aft when I get a chance. Thanks for the tips everybody. Looks like I'm back in business again.

Still lovin' my "Suh-weet"

01zerosix,

Good to hear that the light manufacturer is now putting drain holes in the lens. With what you did, you should be fine form now on!
    Rick and Janice
    2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
    2006 F-350 6.0 Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 20K Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Life is about the journey.

Ive had a front cap area rain leak for over a year that I simply cannot find. Yesterday I got suspicious,finally, about the scarelight caulking-- but it never occurred to me that water might be getting inside the fixture. Will have to check on it. Very helpful thread!
    2010 36tk3 (5173)
    2006 Chev 3500 D/A

i had what i thought to be a cap leaking and it turned out to be the caulking along the seam where the pinbox cover and side wall meet. water was dripping in front between the jacks.