Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dually Tire Valve Stems

I have other trailers such as inclosed car hauler, Big Tex equipment hauler. I switch out the Pressure Pro monitoring system. The first time I used the Sensoron the car hauler it had rubber valve stims, and did have a rubber stim crack and loose air. I have since replaced it with metal stims. The issues on the GM 3500HDs with Aluminum wheels is the sensors want fit the valve stims are to short I will be putting metal valve stims on the 3500HD prior to going to our winter site. I highly recommend you replace the rubber stims to metal... Happy Trails....
    Delaine and Lindy

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's (TRADED)
    2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 (Vanity Slide) #5057 (SOLD)

Trailer Saver Air ride TS 3 (Sold)

Pressure Pro System (SOLD)

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Maybe it is just the newer GMCs, I have tried various extensions, TST I have had metal stems of multiple sizes and angles and can not find any that work. I seemed to always develop more serious leaks with any of the add ons. I now have tire pressure sensors that are mounted in the tire on the inside of the valve stem. This is working well but I have to go to Discount Tire to have air added. I may try and get a tire tool so I can take off and replace the decorative cover on the wheels. I believe with this cover off I can get to the inside valve stem.
    Marshall & Nancy

2013 Elite Suites 38RESB3
    2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD DRW 4WD Duramax
    Solar 880 Watts, 24V

I had a 2009 Chev and now have a 2011 Chev and I took off the wheel covers. The opening was just big enough to get my hand in to install the tire preasure sensors.

Tom
    Tom & Irene
    2010 MS 36TKSB3 5107
    2011 Chev 3500 DRW

I also have a 2011 GMC Dually. To check the rear tire pressure I have to take off the outer wheel cover trim ring to access the steel wheel. Its still a tight fit to get get my hand and tire gauge (long handle with dual angle head) inside. I usually lose pressure while trying to get a reading. I end up having to over pressurize the tire and then testing it several times until it leaks down to the desired pressure. I only do this every three months or so (or before an extended trip) because its a real pain.

Patricia & Cary
    2012 MS38TKSB4
    2011 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
    Happy Hour @ 4:00pm!

Loopie & Travelers
    Thanks I will try this next time I need air.
    Marshall & Nancy

2013 Elite Suites 38RESB3
    2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD DRW 4WD Duramax
    Solar 880 Watts, 24V

Here is a thought for hard to reach places to fill and test pressure. Milton makes these and we used to use them in automotive service stations "back in the day." The small round "window" is the pressure readout and you have a handle to open the valve for filling with air. When you let the handle close, you then see the pressure readout in that little window.

Picture below and link to Northern Tool's website for the filler/gauge. Somewhat pricey, but it may very well be worth it. It will be good for the truck tires, but the upper limit of the gauge is 120 psi. So, a higher capable gauge is still needed to check those those trailer tires that require 125 psi.

Milton Window Inflator Gage, Dual Head, Model# S-506

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2010 Ford F150 as Tag-along

Our Photos on Photobucket

Ignoring the Barking Dogs - Terry's Blog

Patricia & Cary,

With our 2012 3500HD Dually I found that I to have to remove the outer wheel cover trim to access the inner wheel and yes, it is a tight fit to get the hand inside. I'm headed off to buy a long handle dual angle gauge and inflator. I think I can make that work. Thanks to everyone for your excellent comments.

Trent Carter

Because most pick-up truck manufacturers choose to go with the standard .453 hole and thus the standard stem for that hole, we suffer because there is no long stem made for this size hole. We end up using an extension which has a poor gasket to seal against a who knows how accurately made stem or worn stem. With the inside rod of the extension pushing the valve open constantly we have leaks, either a slow one or sometimes faster. Either way, it SUCKS to have to refill as often as most of us do.

There is a solution though, I DON"T suggest you do this . Take off the inner dually and take it to a machine shop. Have them open the hole size to .625, the standard for over the road truck tires. Now you have a whole selection of stems up to 18" in length. But you only need a good metal stem about 6" to bring it out into the world! As I said, I don't recommend this because they could mess up your nice aluminum wheel, burr the hole or several other possible problems and then you are left with the expense of getting a new wheel.
    John & Bonnie Mc Clun
    2008 F-450 King Ranch Dually
    2011 MS TKSB3 #5793
    http://drv-owners-manual.com

John,
    Thanks for those dimensions--very helpful. Where did you find this information?
    Joe
    2005 36TK3 #1869
    2009 F450 Lariat
    2007 F350 DRW--gone