Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodyear Tire Delaminated

Default Goodyear Tire Delaminated

It had to happen sometime, I guess. I had the rear tire on the passenger side delaminate on my MS this past weekend. As luck would have it, it happened just a short distance from my S&B. I had stopped about 10 miles from the house to dump my tanks and did a walk-around then. All was well. I noticed the bad tire when backing into my "spot" at the S&B. The tread had come completely off causing minor fender damage.

My questions:

Did you contact Goodyear about the tire issue? Who did you contact and what information did you provide?

Where and who did you contact about the fender repair?

Did you file an insurance claim, or did Goodyear pick up the tab?

Did you move on up to the 17.5 inch tires and wheels? (Looks like the opportunity is here, anyway.)

I would appreciate any insight that can be provided. I am running a little "gun shy" at the moment. Apprehensive about not "if" but "when" the next tire will go.

Still luvin' my "Suh-Weet" not so happy with my Goodyear's though.

If those are your original tires they are already 5 years old. Not sure if Goodyear will make good on them at that age, but I hope they do. Usually 5 years is the max you can expect to get from a set of RV tires. Good luck!

Gary and Penny
    2007 MS 38RL3 #3720,Level up system
    2005 Chevy 3500 4x4, 4" exhaust, Airrad intake, Edge Attitude tuner, Rancho shocks

Zeosix

I would still contact Goodyear Customer Service and file a claim. You will need the date codes off the tire and you may as well have all the codes from all the tires.

...and you might want to consider a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) for the future.

You are correct on now is the time. As mentioned age is an issue and there are a few other things. A MS is just plain too heavy for the 614 GYs 16" tires. It is a matter of when not if they will throw a tread. Speed, weight, heat and of course tire pressure all play a part.

Upgrading to the 114 GYs 17.5" or the Michelin XTAs is a good move for sure. There is a real good reason that DRV does not put 16" rubber on any 36' and up MS anymore. They never did it on the 38'. They are all 17.5" Good year stopped providing them with the 614s due to the amount if claims they had.

You do need to contact GY and Save that old tire and what ever pieces you have. You have to take it in to a GY dealer so they can send it in to the center. I am sorry I don't have the number for you but that should be easy to get on line. The dealer can help with the forms etc.

GY should cover the cost of replacing the bad tire as well. A friend was able with a good deal of talking, get them to agree to replace 2 the remaining 16" tires with new 17'5" when he had his 3rd tread loss and lots of damage. 3 damage claims all paid. His tires were well past 5 yrs. They tried to tell him no coverage due to the age, but the tread was fine and they could not show him any documentation where they say anywhere that the tires will only last X number of years or will fly apart at X number of miles or age. Of course that can not say that. They can recommend but they will not say no good at this time.

So he used that against them and won! They were pleased to get him off the 614s!! So was he.

Now..that said..we all should know the 4-5 year deal. I know I do not want to have them fly apart and damage things. No matter who is paying the cost of repairs. We had 2 114 GY 17.5" fail with blowouts 2 years ago (no damage thanks to TPMS system) and they were 6 years old. My bad. We also had an axle alignment issue going on too.

The TPMS would likely not have helped you if you never lost pressure or it wasn't low. But still a good idea for lots of reasons. Also weighing the rig on individual wheels to see what you are actually doing to your tires. All of which you may well have done.

Good luck with GY!!

Bill
    Bill and Joan
    4 Collie pups
    01 Volvo 770
    05 38RL3 #2046
    05 Smart Passion loaded piggyback

What Bill said very well.

Goodyear Tire Co.
    Property Damage Claims Team
    Akron, OH
    800-322-4682
    fax 888-307-1920

Save tire(s). Need to take to local dealer for return to, & inspection by Goodyear..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stacey & Gail
    E.W.I.G. (Ex-Weigh-It-Guy)
    '04 36 TK3 / SOITC #1341
    '99 Int'l LoPro MDT
    See Bill & Joan's New Adventure Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
    ...and you might want to consider a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) for the future.
    Probably would not have helped this time.
    2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,700+ combined loaded #3814
    2011 HO Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 auto 3:42 Loaded. Mag Hytec trans and rear diff covers
    B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch, AMZ/OIL top to bottom, 304 rwhp May Madness 2012.

Yes contact GY they will take care of you.
    Scott at trailertiresandwheels.com he is a great place to get fresh GY H 17.5" tires and Alcoa wheels from. He always has fresh tires.

Sell your remaining tires and wheels including spare in Craigs List.

I did the above, sold all 5 tirea and wheels for $1,000 and bought the tires and wheels from Scott. Saved a bunch of money.

Stick with GY they are the only ones that will back up their tires and pay for damages.

When going from the G to the H tires use the inflation charts for proper inflation, add 5psi to what the chart says. Weigh each tire separately. This is from GY tech support.
    2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,700+ combined loaded #3814
    2011 HO Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 auto 3:42 Loaded. Mag Hytec trans and rear diff covers
    B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch, AMZ/OIL top to bottom, 304 rwhp May Madness 2012.

Thanks everyone for the great responses so far. They go a long way towards making me feel better about this. I'm going to contact GY about the situation. Doesn't hurt to contact them. I'm also going to ping Steve at tires and wheels to get a current price on the17.5s. Selling the replaced wheels and tires on Craigslist makes a lot of sense, too.

What did you do about the body repair to the damaged fender? Body shop? Indiana?

BTW. I do have a TPMS system on the rig. Didn't help because I didn't lose any air pressure. I had just changed out the batteries in each sending unit that day, before I headed home.

I'm still bummed out because it happened. Grateful that I was so close to home and the damage was very minimal. Sigh.

Still luvin' my "Suh-Weet". I'll tell you what. DRV owners are the best!

This is why we always try to stop in the early afternoons, no more than 5-6 hrs.

We had this happen this summer on the 2nd day of a 3 day trip. But we didn't discover it until we were backing in the nightly space at an RV Park in Montgomery. We have pressure sensors (from DRV) and they showed everything fine.

Before I could find the # for Coach-net, David had walked to the office and they gave him a # of a Mobile Tire Repair. He put on the spare and we made our way to Augusta the next day.

Didn't contact GY as we figured we would be needing new tires all around in another year or so. Ours were over 4 yrs old-mfged in March of 2008 according to codes. The tread didn't cause any noticable damage, just a loose piece that David hammered back on.

After some researched and online quotes, we bought 5 new Continental Tires.

BTW: Ours are 17.5 tires
    Vickie & David
    SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB
    Alicia - Custom kitchen
    2014 F450 KR 4x4
    Titan 65g tank

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!